Wednesday, January 24, 2018

About My Interest In Psychology

I am currently looking into the field of Sports Psychology as a career path because of my love for sports and my desire to help athletes and or coaches anyway that I can to reach their full potential.

  • There are many different sub-fields which make up the requirements for a degree in Sports Psychology. According to http://www.psychology.org/careers/sports-psychologist/#what-does among these fields are kinesiology, physiology, and biomechanics. 
  • Some University's do not offer a Sport Psychology degree, some students have double majored in both psychology and exercise science. Probably part of the reason that schools do not offer degrees in sports psychology yet is because it is still a relatively new field.
  • Though it may still be in its development stages, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, sports psychologists are expected to grow in number by 11% nationwide from 2012 to 2022.
  • http://www.psychology.org/careers/sports-psychologist/#what-does also says the salary in Illinois for a sports psychologist makes about $125,230 annual mean wage.
  • Image resultI found this article on https://www.psychologyschoolguide.net/blog/famous-sports-psychologists/ about Coleman Griffith. He is regarded as one of the first sports psychologist. He began his career as a professor of educational psychology at University of Illinois. He eventually became the sports psychologist for the Chicago Cubs in 1938. Though his research was not highly regarded in his time, eventually in the 1960s, people began to take notice.

I have been involved in and around sports my entire life. Though I probably will not be able to become a coach, I still have a desire to help athletes because I still want to see them succeed and thrive in whatever sport they are playing. Another reason I have a desire to do this is because I myself was never able to play so I want those that have the opportunity to take full advantage of it.  I also have a friend who coaches at McMurry University, and being around his players has made me want to help athletes reach their full potential.
Image result for mcmurry basketball


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sports psychology seems like an interesting career. It's quite amazing how many different psychology fields are out there. You did a good job! It would be a bit helpful to here some examples or what exactly would a sports psychologist help athletes with. Nice point about how sports psychologists are becoming more popular.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan,
    Sports Psychology is very interesting when it comes to the love of the sport people have and helping them to obtain their full potential. How you brought up that many schools do not have a degree plan for sports psychology is mind boggling. With the field being fairly new, I enjoyed how you said they are becoming more known. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very interesting to read! Sports Psychologists are very needed and I bet that would be a very rewarding job. I'm excited to hear that this area is becoming more popular as again it is a very needed position! Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great passion int his area. In what specific areas of sport do you see yourself working in? Explore more in this area and let your readers know how there are no limits for those who have passion and desire to break all offs. I am proud of you Jordan!

    ReplyDelete