Wednesday, January 31, 2018

BRAIN AND BEHAVIOR


 Related image

I have learned more about the way the human brain works in his chapter than any other point. I was struck by what our brains are capable of. One of the videos that stood out the most for me was TED Talks video by Miguel Nicolelis about Brain-to-brain Communication.


 It was crazy to see that all Juliano Pinto had to do was simply think of kicking the ball and the exoskeleton carried out the motion for him to do so. It showed me that we have come a very long way in understanding how to help those with significant brain injuries. I had never seen anything quite like that before, and I was very shocked by it. 


 Related image
Another thing that caught my attention on that video was the ability of Miguel Nicolelis to link the brains of two monkey's essentially to control one an others thoughts. I was not aware that something like that was possible. It just goes to show that there are so many possibilities out there and that we just have to explore.


Another video that I found interesting was about "Extraordinary People" - Living With Half A Brain: Six year old Cameron Mott had half her brain removed.
  Cameron suffered from rasmussen's encephalitis which caused her to have debilitating seizures up to every three minutes. I was not aware of how rare rasmussen's encephalitis is. It only effects one in a thousand children worldwide. It short circuits the brain and also eats away the brain. Cameron's parents opted to have the high risk operation to remove the damaged part of her brain in order to insure Cameron's quality of life. Though doctors said she will never fully regain full function of her left arm, she is now able to walk without a wheelchair and not stumbling and falling as she did before.Image result for rasmussen's encephalitis

In closing, I am glad that I was able to watch some of these videos, because it opened my eyes to so many possibilities. 


-TED Talks guest speaker Miguel Nicolelis: Brain-to-Brain Communication has arrived. How we did it?Oct. 2014. https://www.ted.com/talks/miguel_nicolelis_brain_to_brain_communication_has_arrived_how_we_did_it
- Extraordinary People - Living With Half A Brain Sept. 3, 2017. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJuqughKmw&feature=youtu.be

4 comments:

  1. This was awesome Jordan! You had some great information on here. I have to say I agree with you especially on the video of Juliano Pinto. Science is a beautiful thing and it's cool to see how the human brain still functions even after injuries or disorders. Thanks for the informative read. I enjoyed all of the examples and pictures provided.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The story of Juliano Pinto is so interesting, and I loved how you included the little gif of the famous kick taking place. I agree that science offers us so many possibilities to do things we think are impossible! The story about Cameron living with half a brain was really shocking, and just proves your point that anything is possible in this day and age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post Jordan! You really have some insigeful thoughts on the Brian and behavior as a whole. I found it so interesting too Miguel Nicolelis’ experiment. The brain is so fascinating and all the the functions of the brain are as well! It is truly amazing what all the brain can do, and even what one brain can do to another. Great post again Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work Jordan. It looks like you have got some good feedback from your peers. Glad you found these videos helpful.

    ReplyDelete